Gourmet Hot Dog Recipes
Memorial Day is tomorrow and millions of families and friends will be enjoying the outdoors and the all american BBQs with the staple hamburger and hot dog dinners. Why not wow your guests with a gourmet hot dog of their choice with these 3 yummy options from Cooking with Anastasios. Theres a hot dog sure to please everyone’s taste buds, the Guacamole Hot Dog, the classic Chicago Hot Dog or the Detroit Hot Dog. Heck it’s a holiday, why not try all 3?! My favorite is the guacamole hot dog and my husband loves the Chicago style hot dog. Here are the recipes –
1.Marinate hot dogs or sausages in your favorite beer overnight.
- 3 Louisiana style sausages or your preference of hot dog
- 1 bottle of beer
- 1 avocado (or purchase ready made guacamole, Wholly Guacamole is delicious and right now you can get a coupon for $1.00 off when you like it on Facebook)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Hot dog buns (optional)
- Deli style pickles
- Olive Oil
- Dijon mustard
Guacamole Dog Preparation:
- Create a quick guacamole in your food processor by adding the avocado, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, salt, and lime juice and blending it all together. Place it aside to use later on your guacamole dog.
- Then in a skillet heated with olive oil, sauté chopped mushrooms and diced onions to taste and then place them in a bowl to be added to your guacamole dog later.
Chicago Dog Preparation:
- Create a quick fancy mayonnaise sauce by adding 2 tbsp of real mayonnaise, 2 tsp cheese, 1 tsp Dijon mustard and 1 garlic clove to your food processor. After blending add to a bowl for later use.
- Dice one tomato and set it aside.
- Slice a deli style dill pickle down the middle and set it aside as well.
Classic Detroit Coney Dog Preparation:
- I sometimes like to use Cattle Drive Gold Chili when I don’t have time to make my own. However, feel free to make your own chili or use your own favorite brand. I feel that this brand comes pretty close to standard Detroit-style chili. Open the can and pour out the contents into a small pan. I like to spice mine up with a little garlic powder and black pepper. Once it’s done dispense into a bowl and let it cool while you head out to grill your dogs.
- Lastly, chop half onion up finely and toss in a small cup or bowl for later use.
- Cook the dogs out on the grill and toast your buns when the sausages are almost finished cooking.
- Once back inside Add the special mayo sauce and diced tomato to your Chicago dog and slide the center cut pickle on each side of the hotdog. Add mustard and tomato for a more traditional Chicago style hot dog.
- For the guacamole dog, add your mushrooms and onions onto the dog and top it off with the guacamole you made. Then finish it off with a squirt of lime.
- Lastly for our classic Detroit coney dog add your chili, top it of with some raw minced onions, and a squirt of yellow or dijon mustard.